Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:47:17 +0100
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@kukulies.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: off topic - disk crash

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 03:58:16PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Clifton Royston <cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com> writes:
> > > Today an important (no backup of course) 46 GB IBM Deskstar
> > > IDE disk crashed.
> > This specific line of drives is infamous for a failure rate that's at
> > least a full order of magnitude above the industry average for ATA
> > drives.  Google a bit for it.
>
> Not the entire DeskStar line, just the 75GXP series.  I still have
> several 16Gs and at least one 60GXP that have never given me any
> trouble, and they were fast and silent for their time, head and
> shoulders ahead of the competition.  These days I mostly buy WD...
>
> > > The disk boots into FreeBSD but already at power on time the disk does
> > > seek retries or some recalibration noise.
>
> Also known as the "click of death"...

Thanks for all the helpful tips so far. It is a DLTA 307045 (3.5")
Don't know whether this is a 75GXP.

I'm getting either these:

ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left)  LBA=30583

Which don't stop the dd process.

And these,

ad2: FAILURE  -  READ_DMA status=51<READY, DSC, ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=9156

leading to termination.

Also the transfer rate is terribly slow: (80 KB/s)

I was able to save 18 MB (of 46 GB) (not much so far)

Any other suggestions?

Could I increase the retry count? Or enforce continuation even in case of
hard errors? So that with  a bit of luck I could find the FS later
in the dump and be able to restore at least partially some files?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_physik.rwth-aachen.de