Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:21:10 -0500
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Read Copy Update

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:14:51AM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 March 2004 03:17, Bosko Milekic wrote:

> > > I completely agree. I was just musing about this as a future
> > > addition to the locking toolbox. Its certainly not worth trying
> > > before enough of the kernel is outside the giant lock to make it
> > > worthwhile.
> >
> >   As Jeff said and you agree, it is probably too early for this now.
> >   Also, I've looked at the paper you quote before SCO's announcement
> >   (which by the way I had no idea about until now), and I think we'll
> >   eventually do just as well in the common case without going to the
> >   RCU model at all.
>
> Its a pretty neat idea though. I like the sound of being able to e.g.
> read from the namecache without needing to take an expensive lock. With
> the way 5-CURRENT works, we would probably still need to suppress
> context switching which is expensive on intel processors in the current
> implementation. I guess that could be fixed using some kind of lazy-cli
> scheme.

  Should be really easy to fix in the common case without having to get
  really fancy (e.g., just interlock against ourselves on a private
  per-thread flag) to merely delay cli until the first interrupt.  We
  shouldn't need to mask out per CPU or anything fancy like that.

> The main barrier here (apart from the need to push Giant down in more
> places and stabilise the existing implementation) is IBM's patent. The
> SCO IP claim (bogus as it is) only covers Sequent's original
> implementation.

  Yeah, that sucks.

--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic@technokratis.com  *  bmilekic@FreeBSD.org
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/

"It is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he believes
 he already knows."  -- Epictetus (c.a.d. 55-c135)