Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 2004 22:06:41 +0100
From:      Robert Klein <RoKlein@roklein.de>
To:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chinese editing.

Hi, Stephen,

On Mittwoch, 24. M=E4rz 2004 10:48, Stephen Liu wrote:
> FreeBSD 5.2
> I have OOo 1.1.0 running on my PC working nicely. =20

I'm assuming you got the zh-openoffice-TW-1.1.0 version mentioned=20
below running.  It should not make any difference, except in the=20
Taiwanese version the menus and perhaps even the help is=20
supposed to be in traditional chinese.  Entering Chinese=20
characters is possible with the English and German version of=20
OpenOffice, too (probably with all versions).

> Now I want=20
> to add Chinese editing function.  As per
> 'zh-openoffice-TW-1.1.0_2' on following link;
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=3Dopenoffice&stype=3Dall
> I need to install all packages indicated there.

No. Those packages are required to get OpenOffice up and running. =20
Some of those packages are only needed if you compile OpenOffice=20
for yourself (for example bison, autoconf, gdk).

> Kind advise shall I uninstall all of them and reinstall them
> from their tarballs

Well, no.

You still can't enter Chinese characters, though.  To be able to=20
do this you'll have to run a chinese input method, XCin for=20
example.  I used XCin for traditional Chinese and fcitx for=20
simplified Chinese in the past.  (And, no, I'm not fluent in=20
Chinese.  I'm just doing some lists of vocabulary for the=20
language course....)

I currently can't use Chinese input, however.  When updating from=20
5.1 to 5.2 something went wrong and the input systen doesn't=20
work anymore.  I believer, however, this is a problem on my=20
system only.

Regards,
Robert