Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:53:39 -0700
From:      "Jacob S. Barrett" <jbarrett@amduat.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Attack

I was up until the wee hours of the morning trying to decipher a tcpdump of an
ongoing attack against my network.  I can't seem to figure out how it is
being launched.  A few packets come from some host outside our network. I
assume this has a spoofed source address.  They hit 1 or 2 machines in our
network, sometimes with just a ping, other times on the windows RPC port, and
other still just random ports.  This wouldn't be so bad, but then all hell
breaks loose on our network.  Milliseconds after these packets hit a host in
our network a dozen client routers within our network start slamming that
external host with "ICMP time exceeded in-transit" packets.  It completely
cripples sections of our network, especially our wireless trunk lines.  I
have been look and looking in vain at the initial incoming packets from the
external host hoping to figure out how those dozen routers would even know
that that host exists.  The packets coming in do not appear to be targeted at
a broadcast address.  I can't for the life of me figure out how those routers
are seeing any packets from this external host to send this ICMP message to
it.  Then even if they were, why are they sending thousands of them in less
than a second?

Has anyone seen something like this before?  I am at a loss on how to procede
next.  Is there a list someone on the net that any of you use that I should
post this question to?  Is there someone on this list that has experience
debuging things like this that I could share my tcpdump (under NDA)?

--
Jacob S. Barrett
jbarrett@amduat.net

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."