Date:      Mon, 3 May 2004 18:44:30 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lots of core files with latest xscreensaver-gnome

--83Y2sXKo4f/n2njO

Hi Adam,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Mon, 03 May, 2004 17:54 BST

> Clear out everything in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg and the run:
>=20
> portupgrade -u -a -f
>=20
> That will rebuild everything. After you clear out
> /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg, nothing will run until you complete the
> portupgrade.

Thanks for the reply.

As nothing (presumably this refers to X-related apps) will run in between "=
rm -rf'ing /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/*" and the portupgrade cmd, is it best=
 then, to ensure that no-one is logged in on X during this exercise?

If anything I'll be looking to run this overnight.

Thanks again, Adam.

Regards,

Stacey

>=20
> # Adam
>=20
>=20
> >> (05.03.2004 @ 1235 PST): Stacey Roberts said, in 1.5K: <<
> > Hello,
> >      Since upgrading either to Gnome-2.6 or latest xscreensaver-gnome (=
not sure which is the culprit), I've been seeing lots of core files as a re=
sult of xscreensaver.
> >=20
> > Here is what I've got installed:
> >=20
> >  pkg_info xscreensaver-gnome*
> > Information for xscreensaver-gnome-4.15_2:
> > =20
> > Comment:
> > Save your screen while you entertain your cat (for GNOME users)
> > =20
> > Required by:
> > gnome2-2.6.0
> > =20
> > Xscreensaver will run several programs to continuously update the
> > screen instead of going blank.  You can specify the programs and their
> > arguments using resources.  You can also add dpms (power saver) options.
> > =20
> > Xscreensaver will make use of any installed OpenGL libraries, such as
> > Mesa (also in the ports collection).
> > =20
> > The client-server model employed by xscreensaver make it a superior cho=
ice
> > to xlock, since no seperate auto-locking program is needed.  It's also
> > extremely easy to add new programs like xearth, or any other program th=
at
> > can fill the root window as additional screensavers.
> > =20
> > WWW: http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/
> > $
> >=20
> > As with other things on these systems here, I've not actually configure=
d the screensavers, leaving them to default to random files and timeouts.
> >=20
> > I'd like to know if there is some tweak I can make to fix this, please.
> >=20
> > Regards,
> >=20
> > Stacey
> > --=20
> > Stacey Roberts
> > B. Sc (HONS) Computer Science
> >=20
> > Web: www.vickiandstacey.com
> >> end of "Lots of core files with latest xscreensaver-gnome" from Stacey=
 Roberts <<
>=20
>=20
> --