Date:      Mon, 31 May 2004 12:30:24 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        hugle <hugle@vkt.lt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing for 1000 users and 10Mbit internet.

On Mon, 31 May 2004, hugle wrote:

> The question in what machine do i need?
> What CPU and how much of ram ?

I set up a firewall for more than 300 users, a DMZ with a public webserver,
webmail and MX on a PII-350MHz with 128 MB RAM.

On another client, I set up a firewall for 50 users with a Pentium 90MHz
with 64MB RAM.

> dual or single processor ?

One. Don't waste you money. A firewall isn't very CPU intensive. And given
the fact that ipf works at the IP stack level, I don't think you can have
more than one thread active at a time messing with the IP data structures.

			Fer