Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:03:27 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: incremental ports/INDEX builder

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:32:14AM +0200, Radim Kolar wrote:
> my program for speedups of make index rebuilding after cvsup
>=20
> http://home.tiscali.cz/~cz210552/bsdportsutils.html

This is interesting, but based on my attempt to read the code (it's
not commented, and I don't speak ruby) I don't think you catch all the
cases.  For example, when something like bsd.kde.mk or
=2E./../someother/port/Makefile.inc changes, it can also affect ports
that .include those files, and cause a change to 'make index'.  This
doesn't happen often, but it happens sometimes, and an incremental
index generator needs to handle it.  There are some other corner
cases, but I can't tell whether your code handles them.

I have a make-based prototype that maintains and updates this
dependency information too, but it currently also has a bug (missing
newline on one of the 'make describe' outputs).  I'm hoping to work on
that again this week so I can post the implementation for comments.

Kris

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--