Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:47:23 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

On Saturday 17 July 2004 12:48 pm, Arun Swarup <arunswarup@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am considering moving over to FreeBSD from Linux (its too hot
> out there.... esp the M$ bashing)

Eh ... well, I tend to ignore that when making a decision to use an OS or
other software. My concerns are: does it work? can I hack it for my own
purposes? does it suit my needs? etc. The politics aside from the basics
about open source can distract from the practical uses of the technology. For
instance, Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman tend to disagree on some
fundamental philosophical issues, but it's not as if they haven't helped
create some very useful stuff in the meantime (even if Richard still insists
people call it GNU/Linux).

> i have a few questions/concerns
>
> 1. I want a usable workstation   &   i want to prevent
> script-kiddies ripping thru my system.   Is OpenBSD necessary?

Not necessarily. FreeBSD is already very secure, but if you're that concerned,
then I recommend setting up a separate box with OpenBSD to act as a firewall.
Are you in a situation where you need very high security? This is where
OpenBSD excels: security, and your network will be more secure by design if
you do firewalling on its own dedicated machine. Also, OpenBSD's excellent
firewall, pf, has been ported to FreeBSD 5.x. FreeBSD is not as picky about
code improvements (the team at OpenBSD analyzes every line of code before
committing, which does take some time), therefore you're more likely to get a
better all-around workstation with a FreeBSD system than an OpenBSD system,
depending on what you want to do on it. For example, FreeBSD can work on more
hardware than OpenBSD, and you can still use XFree86 or X.org, and whatever
window manager you like (sometimes I prefer using IceWM, and other times I
prefer KDE, so they're both installed and used on my system, and I just
switched from XFree86 to X.org today). Generally, FreeBSD is a server
platform, but its stability and compatibility with Linux makes it a good
workstation choice, as well. I was originally going to set up this box to be
an OpenBSD workstation, not having used *BSD before but wanting a secure
system, but it wouldn't recognize my network card (it's fairly new, but it's
very common). The choice was made for me, but I'm happier for it. In time,
I'm planning on setting up another box to be used as a firewall with OpenBSD.

> 2. What if x86 goes out-of-fashion?    what happens then?
> Should i move to NetBSD?

What happens? Good question ... However, in such a situation, I doubt that
FreeBSD would just sit on x86 and let it go at that. NetBSD is known for its
wide hardware compatibility, but it trades off stability to accomplish this.
It's great for tricky/odd/old hardware and embedded systems, but it's not so
great as a workstation or for webserving where stability is crucial, IMO. You
should also know that FreeBSD supports SMP and 64-bit CPUs.

> 3. Will i get a job  if i learn FreeBSD  &  neglect the
> inner-workings of Linux?

Another good question. Something you might want to consider is that FreeBSD is
very popular as a webserver. It's consistently and often profusely listed in
Netcraft's longest uptime list:
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

Hotmail used FreeBSD for a long time, and they may still use it. They don't
like to talk about it much, but it's not a rumor ...

Anyway, I would consider using FreeBSD to be extending your skillset (but you
should know I've become enamored with FreeBSD since installing it, and so
sometimes I evangelize about it). Since you're coming from Linux, you'll
probably still use a lot of Linux apps on your FreeBSD system, and you'll
likely learn a thing or two about both systems because of it. It's not all
that different - they are, after all, both *nix systems. And you can easily
do a multi-boot system ... well, it depends on some factors, but it's not
difficult. Mine is tri-boot: FreeBSD, Slackware and Win2k. No need to dump
what you have, but I would recommend giving FreeBSD a shot. It may not be the
right workstation OS for you, but there's a good chance you'll come to like
it more than anything you've used so far ... ah, see, there's that
evangelizing coming through ;)

- jt