Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 2004 07:05:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@ohoyer.de>
To:        Peter Ryan <pryan@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can i make a CD of the Ports Collection

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Peter Ryan wrote:

> I am very new, and have been reinstalling
> FreeBSD many times to clean up whatever
> mess i make and start again.
>
> I recently used cvsup to update my
> ports collection for the 4.10_RELEASE.
>
> Now, when I reinstall, it takes much longer
> because i bring in the updated ports collection
> rather than the ports collection on the
> install CD (which i burnt from an ISO file)

The whole portscollection is also available via ftp:

on ftp2.de.freebsd.org:

ftp> pwd
257 "/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports" is current directory.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (134,76,11,100,141,111)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
total 25760
drwxr-xr-x    2 emoenke  ftp          4096 Aug  3 01:53 .
drwxr-xr-x   11 emoenke  ftp          4096 Jul 29  2003 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 emoenke  ftp          1006 Jun 19 01:49 README.TXT
-rw-r--r--    1 emoenke  ftp      26332175 Aug  3 01:26 ports.tar.gz
226 Transfer complete.

simply download the tar.gz, and extract it to /usr/ports

On each ISO of a release, like the 4.10R-CD #1, they take a snapshot of
the ports tree when the make the assumption that it ist quite
consistent. So when you download in say, 3 months a 4.10 ISO, the ports
tree therein will be more than 3 months old.

In that case, use whether cvsup or method above to get a recent ports
tree.

HTH
Olaf

--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,