Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:59:33 -0700
From:      "Austin Wilson" <bymyhand@northlink.com>
To:        <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Less space with UFS

I am trying to use samba with my FAT32 hard dives and FreeBSD version 5.2.1.
Since FAT32 doesn't seem to work with samba, and reading from it is ungodly
slow compared to UFS I decided to move all my data to UFS partitions. But
once I have reformatted one of my FAT32 partitions to UFS I seem to not have
the same amount of space as I had with my FAT32 partition. I look the df -h
out put and it shows that I have a 63 gig hard dive, but only total 57 gigs
free and used space useable. I am wondering where the 6 gigs that I had went
to? You can see the same thing happened with the other drives as well. It's
just not as dramatic because the sizes aren't as big. On top of that, you
can see the other FAT32 partitions that I still have setup in the machine,
have the equal amount of total space and total usable space. Also FreeBSD
doesn't recognize any of my hard dive's geometries correctly. My computer is
an OEM and does not let me set them manually. Is there any way I can set
them in FreeBSD? Would this make a difference with how much space I have
usable? One main thing that I am worried about is that to move these other
hard dives to ufs, I have copy over the data and move it back. Now if I do
that, there might not be enough room to copy the data back to the same hard
dive with the same amount of data. It just sounds pretty weird to me. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on

/dev/ad0s1a    11G   1.2G   9.3G    11%    /

devfs         1.0K   1.0K     0B   100%    /dev

/dev/ad0s1f    63G    51G   6.6G    89%    /mnt/f

/dev/ad0s1d   484M   6.0K   445M     0%    /tmp

/dev/ad1s1     57G    51G   5.8G    90%    /mnt/e

/dev/ad2s5     56G    44G    11G    79%    /mnt/d

Austin