Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:52:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   fsck and lost+found space

Hi,

I've worked through most of the problems I had with trying to recover some
data from a dd image of a wrecked filesystem.  Thanks very much to
everyone that helped me out with the basics and with the vnconfig stuff to
mount it.

Right now I'm working on another copy of this same image, and I could use
a bit of help with a problem I'm having while running fsck.  At some
point during the check, fsck starts complaining that there's not enough
space in "lost+found" and that the file it just rescued will be trashed
instead of being stashed in lost+found.

>From what I've seen digging through Google this isn't an issue of not
enough space on the device itself, but some limitation on how many
files/directories that fsck can create in lost+found.  Some folks here
have suggested creating and then deleting a large number of files in that
directory and then re-running fsck.  I have tried that, but since I'm
mounting a dirty filesystem r/w to do that all of my attempts have ended
in the box panicing.  Is there any other option?  I know that when I hit
the stage where fsck starts running out of space I'm losing about 5GB of
stuff.  The reason there are such a large number of files is that this is
the remnants of a mailserver that used Maildirs...

I was hoping for some option in fsck to allow an alternate lost+found
directory on another device, but no such luck.  Is there anything else
that I'm overlooking?  I'm willing to try anything since I'm doing all
this on a junk box with a ton of space that I can panic without it
bothering anyone.

Thanks again,

Charles