Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:54:35 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck and lost+found space

On Wed, 2004-Aug-11 08:17:39 +0200, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:
>* Charles Sprickman <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com> [2004-08-10 23:52 -0400]:
>> I was hoping for some option in fsck to allow an alternate lost+found
>> directory on another device, but no such luck.

This isn't possible - all fsck does is to create a directory entry
pointing to the file.  You could add an option to fsck to allow you
to specify the directory name but you are still limited by fsck's
inability to use indirect blocks for the fsck directory.

>Can you stop fsck just before it begins to throw away files? Then you
>could perhaps rename lost+found (perhaps with fsdb) and rerun fsck.

I've done this.  The problem is stopping fsck before it starts throwing
away files.  Once you stop fsck, you need to do a 'mount -f ...',
rename lost+found to something else, unmount the filesystem and
start lost+found again.

--
Peter Jeremy