Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:16:13 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:    AARRRGGHHH!  (was Re: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA errors in security output)

On 08/28/04 09:04 AM, Subhro sat at the `puter and typed:
> Well it is really unfortunate that hard disks don't need a reason to
> die. Maybe you are right. Are you using a 40 conductor or a 80
> conductor cable? You can also try disabling DMA by setting the values
> displayed by sysctl -a | grep dma to 0 in /boot/loader.conf
>
> Regards
> S.

Somehow I don't think that's going to solve my problem.  After adding
the following line to loader.conf:
hw.ata.ata_dma=0
the machine just freezes up while trying to mount the root partition.

I managed to boot to an old kernel and fix that problem.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Grief can take care of itself; but to get the full value of a joy you
must have somebody to divide it with.
    -- Mark Twain