Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:40:00 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AARRRGGHHH! (was Re: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA errors in security output)

Well, it's probably not an old BOIS, since the machine is less than 3
months old.  I checked the BIOS after the system locked up, and it was
enabled.  I disabled it, and still couldn't boot until I used the
generic kernel.

Right now, the BIOS DMA is off, but the ata_dma sysctl variable is
still setting to 1.  I'll check this out for a while, and see if it
works.  If not, I'll call Dell for a new HD and cable.

Thanks.
Lou
On 08/30/04 09:09 AM, Subhro sat at the `puter and typed:
> Although highly unlikely, but could you check your BIOS and enable DMA
> if there is any setting for it? Alternatively, old BIOSses are really
> messy about handling New hard drives. So reflashing the BIOS is also a
> good option if your mo'bo manufacturer offers something new. Also you
> did not indicate what type of cable you are using, ie 40 conductor or
> 80 conductor.
>
> Regards
> S.
>

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:16:13 -0400, Louis LeBlanc
> <freebsd@keyslapper.org> wrote:
> > On 08/28/04 09:04 AM, Subhro sat at the `puter and typed:
> > > Well it is really unfortunate that hard disks don't need a reason to
> > > die. Maybe you are right. Are you using a 40 conductor or a 80
> > > conductor cable? You can also try disabling DMA by setting the values
> > > displayed by sysctl -a | grep dma to 0 in /boot/loader.conf
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > S.
> >
> > Somehow I don't think that's going to solve my problem.  After adding
> > the following line to loader.conf:
> > hw.ata.ata_dma=0
> > the machine just freezes up while trying to mount the root partition.
> >
> > I managed to boot to an old kernel and fix that problem.
> >
> > Lou
> > --
> > Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
> > Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
> > http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ
> >
> > Grief can take care of itself; but to get the full value of a joy you
> > must have somebody to divide it with.
> >    -- Mark Twain
> >

> --
> Subhro Sankha Kar
> School of Information Technology
> Block AQ-13/1 Sector V
> ZIP 700091
> India

Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be
done is generally interrupted by someone doing it.
    -- E. Hubbard