Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:41:46 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        meads594@comcast.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: logging all logins with periodic

--8X7/QrJGcKSMr1RN

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:34:25PM +0000, meads594@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.10 on a machine at home. Since it is expo=
sed to the internet (and since I am the only one who should be logging into=
 it), I would like to have a summary log of all logins (both failed and suc=
cessful).
>=20
> "periodic" shows the the failed logins in the daily summary, but I would =
also like a summary of the successful logins. I've "google"-ed, checked the=
 list archives, and looked at the period.conf man page, but I can't seem to=
 find a way to do what I want. However, I'm sure I'm not the first person t=
o want this functionality.
>=20
> Can periodic be used to get a summary of successful logins? Is there a di=
fferent utility that exists?
>=20

I don't think the periodic scripts have that capability.  However,
it's fairly simple to get a list of all logins on the system (except,
for some unknown reason those logins via xdm(1) and similar graphical
login managers).

The command to use is last(1) -- note by default that reads
/var/log/wtmp which is recycled each month via newsyslog(8).  You can
edit the /etc/daily.local script to get that output included in your
daily e-mails.

	Cheers,

	Matthew=09

--=20