Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:47:48 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-vuxml@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matching a name to a port

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:33:22PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> I'm trying to match vuln.xml information against actual ports.  To do
> this, I need to know how the entries in the <name> field are derived.
>
> I first thought it might be PORTNAME.  But that's not the case.  I now
> think it might be ${PKGNAMEPREFIX}${PORTNAME}$.

${PKGNAMEPREFIX}${PORTNAME}${PKGNAMESUFFIX}

See the definition of PKGNAME in bsd.port.mk.  It is PKGNAME minus the
version information.

> If am i correct, then I have some questions about the following entries.
>
> What ports do the following refer to?
>
>  iaskmpd
security/isakmpd

>  ImageMagick-nox11
graphics/ImageMagick

>  ja-netscape7
japanese/netscape7

>  libtool
depends, could be devel/libtool13 or devel/libtool15, or even the
no-longer-existent devel/libtool or devel/libtool14

>  mod_php4-twig
www/mod_php4-twig

>  mpg123-esound
>  mplayer-esound
>  mplayer-gtk
>  mplayer-gtk-esound
multimedia/mplayer

>  mysql-client
>  mysql-scripts
>  mysql-server
depends, could be any of the database/mysql*-(client|scripts|server) ports.

> The answers may be obvious to the trained eye, but how does one write code
> against this?

Ports are re-named, moved, removed.  I'm not sure that it can be
done exactly other than by what I suggested previously: a database
of the "history" of package names.  IIRC, portupgrade uses ad hoc
heuristics to guess the port origin from the package name, when the
ORIGIN comment is not usable for some reason.

The dichotomy of package name and port origin has always been a
troublesome aspect of the FreeBSD Ports collection :-(

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / nectar@celabo.org / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@freebsd.org