Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:15:18 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jeff Aitken <jaitken@aitken.com>
Cc:        Daniel Rudy <dr2867@pacbell.net>
Subject:   Re: Kerberos 5 Security Alert?

--KR/qxknboQ7+Tpez

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 06:35:43PM -0400, Jeff Aitken wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:07:36PM -0700, Daniel Rudy wrote:
=20
> > Why wasn't there a FreeBSD security alert for Kerberos 5? =20
>=20
> I may be wrong, but I think that security alerts are issued only
> for the base system (i.e., things that are part of FreeBSD proper).
> Vulnerabilities that affect ports are documented here:
>=20
>     http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/
>=20
> I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.

That's correct.  The VuXML system is now the standard repositiry for
information about security vulnerabilities to do with the ports or the
base system.  FreeBSD Security Alerts are still being produced when
necessary -- which cover the base OS, but alerts or notifications for
stuff in ports now use a different mechanism.

If you install the security/portaudit port, you'll get a message in
your daily system e-mail if you have a vulnerable version of any port
installed, together with a link to a page on the FreeBSD site with
more details.  It will also print out warnings and prevent you from
installing a port if there is an outstanding security problem with it.
The portaudit port also sets up a local copy of its database of
security problems which it updates each night -- I think that
originally portaudit and VuXML were quite separate projects, but
portaudit now uses VuXML stuff internally.

I happen to know that the VuXML data will be appearing in a future
release of the freshports.org site as well.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way