Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:32:24 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: race between geom and root mount

--CxDuMX1Cv2n9FQfo

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 07:07:25PM +0200, John Hay wrote:
+> The last day I have been trying to setup a geom mirror to boot from. I
+> have tried various ways of configuring it, geom mirror on the raw disk
+> and also geom mirror inside a slice, also without any slices etc. But
+> everytime I could get it to load the kernel and boot up to the point
+> where it should mount the root partition and then it would fail and
+> give the prompt where you can type the name of the root partition you
+> want to mount. Even by typing the partition name at the prompt could
+> not get it to work. Then today I noticed that after I got the prompt
+> for the root partition a few more geom messages were printed. Then I
+> disabled smp by setting kern.smp.disabled=3D"1" and it booted fine.

Maybe you're a victim of the problem which was just fixed in -CURRENT.
Could you try g_mirror.c rev. 1.27 and g_label.c rev. 1.10?

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl

--CxDuMX1Cv2n9FQfo