Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:45:57 +0800 (CST)
From:      Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Feature request (pam/nss ldap, nsswitch ldap integration)

Hi

First of all, I know that most committers or contributors contribute
their work in their free time.
I am not asking for any promise but I just want to discuss a possible
improvement for FreeBSD.

So my suggestion is: integrate pam_ldap, nss_ldap, nsswitch support
with ldap and lookupd (ie LDAP client support) into the OS.
Perhaps by default, the ldap support is off.
It can be enabled by a switch in /etc/make.conf (like KERBEROS)

FreeBSD has the above support in the ports.
But I think it would be great if FreeBSD support LDAP out of the box.
Just like Solaris and most Linux distro.
The integration with LDAP is like the integration of OpenPAM,
OpenSSH, AMD automounter and BIND in FreeBSD.

Please express your view.
Ignore me if my suggestion has no practical use or only beneficial to a
small amount of people.

Regards
Patrick

必殺技、飲歌、小星星...