Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:51:07 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portindex -- the second coming.

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:12:51PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 04:38:54PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>=20
> > After the recent fun and games with the sysutils/portindex port by
> > Radim Kolar, it seems there is a pent up demand for software that can
> > maintain /usr/ports/INDEX without the hassle of going through a full
> > 'make index' every time you want to update.
> >=20
> > I've put together a few bits of perl to achieve that.  Now I'm looking
> > for people to try it out, send me feedback, bug reports, suggestions
> > etc.  To be beta testers in fact.
>=20
> > If you'ld like to be a tester, please grab the tar-ball from:
> >=20
> >     http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/portindex-0.1.tar.bz2
>=20
> I've added some patches to make portindex cope with broken dependency
> problems more gracefully and to tidy up the error messages it produces:
>=20
>     http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/portindex-0.2.tar.bz2
>=20
> There's no need to re-initialise the cache if you've already built one.

Slightly later than planned (real life getting in the way I'm afraid),
here's the third (and I hope final) beta version:

    http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/portindex-0.3.tar.bz2

This incorporates various bug fixes and feedback from earlier versions.

Significant changes:

    - Object hierarchy reorganized.  It no longer clashes with the
      pre-existing FreeBSD::Ports modules.  Unfortunately this does
      mean that everyone will have to reinitialise their caches from
      scratch.

    - Added a new 'find-updated' program which searched the ports tree
      for ports contining files modified after a specified date and
      prints out a list of those ports suitable for feeding into
      cache-update's plain mode.  (This is completely independent of
      cvsup(1), for those that don't use cvsup)

    - Fixed the bug where a SUBDIR entry in a Makefile wouldn't be
      recognised if there was a comment on the same line.

    - Uses a separate file to record the time/date that the cache was
      last modified: can't use the mtime of the cache Btree files
      themselves, as that is modified even for read-only access.

As ever, comments, criticisms gratefully received.

Barring reports of egregious bugs, the next step will be add all of
the MakeMaker gubbins and submit this as a port.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way