Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:53:28 +0100
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pr guidelines, DES's name...

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

On 2004.11.03 13:31:53 -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> I just happen to notice that Mozilla 1.7.3 doesn't display des's last name
> properly on:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pr-guidelines/
>=20
> The letter after Sm is not rendered properly..  it appears that you

That would be an "=F8".  I think it's related to your locale/font
configuration, and not browser version.  It works fine for me (Firefox
1.0r1), but I also use iso8859-1 for my native language support.

> are sticking a hi-ascii character in a UTF-8 document...  so either the
> charset should be changed to iso8859-1, or it should be replaced with the
> proper character element &oslash;

I think the real problem is that neither the webserver nor the
document sets the character set.  It should be iso8859-1 and not
utf-8, as can be seen from the directory name (en_US.ISO8859-1).

I guess the right solution is to insert the proper metatag in the
headers to force iso8859-1.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team