Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:00:18 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gif4) & AltQ

--nextPart1455302.KRKWpJPmgl

On Monday 22 November 2004 19:23, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 02:30:28PM +0100, Eric Masson wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In a vpn application, I'm using gif tunnels backed by ipsec transport
> > mode beetween two hosts on the Internet.
> >
> > Is there any hope to see gif(4) modified to integrate AltQ framework or
> > is there any reason (except lack of maintainer/coder time) that would be
> > a showstopper ?
>
> I'm not sure ALTQ makes sense on a gif interface.  ALTQ's operation
> depends on being fairly close to the point where packets hit the wire
> and gif is quite a ways from there (since it's riding on top of IP).

Very true. It's more worthwhile to classify on gif and queue on the real=20
interface. Queueing on gif will only work in rate-limiting mode.

> I don't think there would be any objection to adding support, but gif
> does not have have a maintainer so you'd have to convince someone to
> find it intresting (or figure it out yourself.)  I gather the changes
> aren't all that complex in general.

That's true as well. Take a look at the patches on:=20
http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/ALTQ_driver/ and the altq(9) manpage to=20
learn how to modify a driver. It's more or less looking for if_snd and=20
modifying it according to the rules in altq(9). Not sure how *exactly* gif(=
4)=20
works, but I'll put it on my list (just not a high priority, right now).

=2D-=20