Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:49:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        _pppp@mail.ru
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2 -> 5.3 without single mode?

In message: <E1CXK4m-0006Je-00._pppp-mail-ru@f21.mail.ru>
            dima <_pppp@mail.ru> writes:
: > Is it possible to cvsup from 5.2 to 5.3 without booting in single mode?
: > I have a remote machine and want update it, but it is no console access,
: > only SSH.
: You don't actually need to reboot in single-user mode. Just make sure your users wouldn't use the server hard during the
: # mergemaster -p
: # make installworld
: # mergemaster
: cycle. You can basically disable all the services but sshd for that task & enable them again after the second reboot.

While you don't NEED to go into single user (I do the above all the
time), you are setting yourself up to get screwed the first time that
a new, common system call is introudced...

Warner