Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:19:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Ethernet (aue) panics on 4.10 (kern/69319)

[drop me from replies and I'll catch up via the archives, thankz]

Apologies for not finding this until a couple weeks late...
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:08:15 +0000, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> Is anyone else using USB Ethernet - particularly anything that uses the
> aue(4) driver - on FreeBSD 4.10, with or without success?  I have a
> reproducible panic when aue(4) devices are first brought up, ie. on the
> first ifconfig(8) of the device, with two different adapters on two

Ah, I'm actually trying to get an axe-type device working based
on code lifted from -current, as I picked up one of those type
of adapters recently.  Is there any work/plan to MFC if_axe into
4.x before sending it to its demise?

The panic I see (with both OHCI and EHCI and FreeBSD 4.x) is
the same as the panic you reported in the PR -- thanks!

For all I know, the axe(4) device I have -- a USB2-capable
unit -- already is in 4.x, but I found a relevant PR about
what I experience on my 4.x when attaching via UHCI: kern/73000

Unfortunately, when I built my latest -current-based 4.x USB
kernel modules, the patch in PR 73000 failed to solve the
problem of eternal UHCI attach.  Perhaps there's something
in 5.x/-current that's missing from my 4.x; alternatively
the one-month MT4 that was announced has probably passed so
I should check the latest source.

I experience the panic when I `ifconfig axe0 something' the
interface -- after a second or two, an endless stream of
messages, no debugger, at best auto-reboot.

Anyway, I'll report back when I bring my 4.x system a bit
more up-to-speed.  I've connected the device to NetBSD-
current and if I recall, it works with EHCI (don't remember
if I actually did any networking with it), but I don't
remember if I saw the same eternal-attach with UHCI --
if so, I probably put it down to incompatibility of the
adapter with USB1.

One more note, if I remember, the if_axe code has been
added to DragonFly, though I haven't gotten around to
check if that code is cleaner than my hack, in case anyone
is looking to add if_axe to 4.11.

(And this is really the wrong place to ask, but are there
any plans -- if not already done -- to merge the not-USB
if_re for gigabit ethernet, now that those cards are dirt-
cheap, into 4.11?  I've done hacks that I think get it to
work for me, and I think again DFly has added if_re as well.)

> The attached patch restores the tsleep hack and fixes a couple of other
> problems I found while looking into this:
 [ ... ]
> - Fix ioctl handling to return EINVAL for commands that don't make sense
>   for this device.  Otherwise ifconfig(8) prints a lot of irrelevant data,
>   such as wireless settings.

I also had to hack this in if_axe and 4.x, FWIW...

If I don't find that this has all already been done, I'll
give a report about my hacks, if there's interest in adding
if_axe to 4.11.

thanks
barry bouwsma

(oh, did I ask about merging if_axe into 4.x at all? ... )