Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:13:05 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        Joshua Lokken <joshua.lokken@gmail.com>
Cc:        Tom Connolly <tomc@cqg.com>
Subject:   Re: (cvsup newbie questions)

On Monday 20 December 2004 06:08 am, Joshua Lokken
<joshua.lokken@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:09:00 -0600, Nikolas Britton
> <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:
> > Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> > >Well, if you build a port with make options once, then it will
> > > remember your make options. Otherwise, you can enter make
> > > arguments in /etc/pkgtools.conf, although this only helps if you
> > > know what arguments the ports you're installing might need.
> >
> > What do you mean it "remembers" what make options I used... if I do
> > a portupgrade it without setting MAKE_ARGS in pkgtools.conf it will
> > remember my make options from the last time I built it? Also how to
> > I make it "unremember" make options I don't want anymore?
>
> I don't know about that.  If I want portupgrade to use custom make
> flags, I specify them in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.  To remove
> options from a previous build,  you can do:
>
> # rm /var/db/ports/<portname>/options

IIRC, pkgtools.conf only works with the pkgtools apps, like portupgrade.
I don't think it works with making the port from the tree itself (like
if you cd to the folder and make install clean), but options you use in
building it from the ports tree will be stored
in /var/db/ports/<portname>/options, as mentioned above. This is what I
meant by "remembered."

> > Also, semi related, whats this "Generating INDEX-5 - please wait.."
> > thing and why does it take an hour for it to generate?
>
> The machine is building the ports collection INDEX-5 file from the
> make describe output of all of the ports.  You can simplify this
> process by doing 'make fetchindex' after you cvsup each time.

Yes, although you should cd /usr/ports before you do that. I guess the
way people are doing this now is cvsup ports, cd /usr/ports && make
fetchindex && portsdb -u (this last step will be done automatically
when it needs to be done, but you can do it anyway after a ports tree
update). You can also use /usr/ports/sysutils/p5-FreeBSD-Portindex ,
which speeds up the process of making a new INDEX locally.

- jt