Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:02:49 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, shines@smaller.net
Cc:        'Tyler Gee' <geekout@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Manpage interpreter

On Thursday 23 December 2004 07:40 pm, "Sally Hines"
<shines@smaller.net> wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for offering me good information on
> automating the ports update. My real question, though, is how to read
> and understand manpages. Where is the interpreter? I know I am not
> the only noob to ever have this problem? I can solve my own problems
> much better if I can interpret the instructions.

I think it would help if you gave a specific example. I don't think
there is any such thing as an interpreter, per se, but if there is
something confusing about a manpage, you can ask. I realize you said
the questions list was intimidating, but if you are very specific about
what you don't understand, you can usually get an answer. It's happened
to me before where someone has told me to read the manpage for a
particular command or file, and I still didn't understand it, but it
helps if you point out what you don't understand about it, otherwise
it's sometimes difficult to answer. There are also ways to
problem-solve and find the answer even when you are given confusing
instructions, but it would help if you gave me a specific example of
something you didn't understand to show you.

- jt