Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:16:27 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to shut down this list?

On Monday 27 December 2004 06:50 pm, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
wrote:
> On Monday 27 December 2004 14:03, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> > On Monday 27 December 2004 01:30 pm, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
> > wrote:
> > > The cool part is, we don't need somebody who can answer
> > > questions, or even necessarily tell the user where to get them
> > > answered.  What we really need is somebody to watch for threads
> > > that are veering off into non-newbies-list topics and redirect
> > > those.
> > >
> > > I don't know that it really requires official moderation, though
> > > we could do that if the list members don't respond appropriately
> > > to suggestions by the nanny(ies).
> >
> > Well, I agree that this would likely be the best of both worlds:
> > having moderation without having a moderator, per se, but it seems
> > to me like the frequency of newbies asking for technical help on
> > this list indicates a lack of clear communication of the group
> > charter. I realize newbies are less inclined (in general) to read
> > instructions, but perhaps this in itself is reason to make the
> > charter more clear to people before they join.
>
> One of my ideas is to come up with a short, succint version of the
> newbies list charter and to have it appended to every message, as a
> list signature. Would any of you "frequent newbie flyers" like to
> have a go at the text for this?   This gentle reminder should inform
> them to seek help on technical questions on the -questions list, and
> refer to the newbies list charter via URL.

How about something like, "freebsd-questions is not a technical help or
support list. See: http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/ "

> *You* of all people should know where to find the official list
> charter.  ;^)

Me, specifically? Well, yes, but I'm not sure why me, of all people ...

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-CHARTERS

- jt