Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2005 20:55:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB vendore designations..

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:46:52 -0700 (MST), "M. Warner Losh" wrote:

> : > I think that it is going to take sepveral steps to get from here to
> : > there.  Since I have CVS access to both FreeBSD and NetBSD, I can
> : > directly make changes there.  Since I prefer smaller, more easily
> : > tested patches to one big jumbo patch, I'd like to propose that we
> : > harmonize strings first, as much as possible, before going after the
> : > name changes.  I'd also like to do these in smaller batches so that

> : Matt and Julian have merged the D/FBSD differences into -current, so
> : that there's nothing missing between them.

> This isn't true.  Julian committed a huge diff, it failed, he backed
> it out.  I've committed parts of the non conflicting stuff, and will
> continue to do so cautiously.

Sorry it's taking me so long to make progress with this.  Slow
machine, little memory, blah blah.

I've updated my -current source this morning (07.01.2004) after
successfully building -current with my -in-progress usbdevs, and
patching the files which needed to be changed elsewhere in the
tree to match the NetBSD differences in the usbdevs file (or my
changes made to help searching alternate strings more readily),
and then decided to make another diff of my work-in-progress
against your changes from 06.Jan.

If you'd like to see what I've come up with, that diff can be
found at
https://NOSPAM.dyndns.dk/hacks/usbdevs/usbdevs-patch-based-on-current

There are a few minor corrections to your latest changes, as well as
some updates I've made while reviewing the diffs.  A few redundant
things eliminated, and some minor ordering changes.  And then the
usual significant additions from NetBSD.

I'm now in the process of building some kernels to identify as many
source files as possible where I've broken things.  The previous
changes I've had to make (based on my NetBSD-successful build) can
be seen under
https://NOSPAM.dyndns.dk/hacks/usbdevs/usbdevs-in-progress-PATCHES-NEEDED-for-freebsd-4.x-and-current/
That is based on the -in-progress-for-4.x file in its parent directory,
from which I built both 4.x and -current successfully with the patches.

As I'm positive I've broken things afresh, within a day or three I should
add some more files to that directory, as I slowly chew my way through
LINT and a -current world crossbuild.  The above diff should obviously
*NOT* be committed as-is, but reviewed and perhaps used as a basis for
more non-controversial commits for now.  I've tried to document my so-
called thinking within the diffs as well as `XXX' highlight particular
items of importance or to be addressed later.  (A few of the newly-
broken files have patches in this directory now.)

These latest diffs have not been applied to my NetBSD yet.  There are
some vendor name changes to match the USB website vendor list too.

> : As NetBSD is somewhat more state-of-the-art here, the majority of
> : catching-up needs to happen in D/FBSD.  And OpenBSD.

> Actually, that's not entirely true either.  FreeBSD had a boatload of
> vendors not in NetBSD, and there's general agreement that the OpenBSD
> shortness of names is a good thing.

Yeah, that's true too, but I was more thinking of the number of products
missing from FreeBSD -- NetBSD has a much larger file by size.

> My big worry is breaking things on NetBSD when I merge back things
> there, so I really want to be cautious and do things very carefully.

When my slow machine gives me the chance to tackle a NetBSD crossbuild
again, I'll see what these latest changes have broken there too, and
try to fix them...

Like before, I'll update the above URLs with my in-progress work and
findings, and only report major changes here.  Feedback, such as
`Don't change AMD2 to xxAMD' is welcome.

barry bouwsma