Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:50:24 -0500
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade (vs. Portmanager) question

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:49:11 -0800
Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net> wrote:

> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
>
>  > It would be nice if the ports make options were better documented, but
> > you can read through /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk and find information
> > on the various options.
> >
> > here is an example:
> >
> > # all-depends-list
> > #                         - Show all directories which are dependencies
> > #                                 for this port.
> >
> > then
> >
> > cd /usr/ports/lang/ezm3/
> > make all-depends-list
> >
> > result:
> >
> > /usr/ports/converters/libiconv
> > /usr/ports/devel/gettext
> > /usr/ports/devel/gmake
> > /usr/ports/devel/libtool15
> >
> > -Mike
> >

> Mike,
>
> That's great info, thank you. It really helps put this into perspective.
>
> I did portmanager -sl and it identifies 7 candidates for deletion.
> It identifies cvsup-without-gui and also identifies ezm3 upon which
> it depends. Am I missing something here or shouldn't ezm3 not been
> identified as a "leaf port"?

Good observation on your part and its a good question to ask.

I'm not real familar with portmanager but it appears to identify the
leaf ports in the same manner as sysutils/pkg_cutleaves and
sysutils/pkg_rmleaves do.  The utilities are only considering the
run-dependencies as needed.

Any port that is only required as a build-dependency is treated as
a leaf port.  They could be removed but it would have to be rebuilt
if it were needed again.

I usually keep these tools that are only needed for building since I
run portupgrade nightly.  Others that have limited hard disk space
might elect to remove them and their associated source tarballs.  Its
left to the individual to decide whether or not to keep them.

You're on the right track to understanding how the ports system works
and using its tools.  Just keep reading the man pages and observing
how things function.

Best regards,

Randy