Date:      Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:52:21 -0300
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        riggs@rrr.de
Subject:   Re: Mplayer adevice option does work

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:32:01AM +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:33:17 -0300
> Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > However, despite good reports from mplayer mailing lists (no FreeBSD
> > reports), I am unable to use this option under FreeBSD. The option
> > should allow me to get audio from a source other than the video source.
>
> 	AFAICS from a quick read of the source the audio device is
> hardcoded to /dev/dsp (or /dev/sound for NetBSD) - presumably it fails
> to open in mplayer because /dev/dsp is already opened for the audio
> output. Try with -ao oss:dsp-device=/dev/dsp0.1 to force the output
> to a different device.

	Actually, I was thinking more on the line of input audio
source. :) Ouput audio source goes just fine. Though, I'll keep
that line in mind.

	One thing, I recall you said that you watched TV in your
bktr card heard the audio under FreeBSD. What mixers settings are
you using? And, soundblaster audigy emuctrl too if you have it.

> > > Option tv: Unknown suboption adevice > > ------- > > > >
Inquiries at irc.freenode.net#mplayer imply that this option > >
works fine under Linux. Any ideas why I am unable to use it? Is it
> > incidental to my system; i.e., does it work for everyone using
FreeBSD > > but me? Or, is it just that this option does not work
under FreeBSD?  > > > >     We should work at getting it fixed. Any
ideas?  > >       Charles Heinrich wrote the bsd capture for mplayer
- he didn't > add support for it. It looks easy enough to fix though.

	I began a very naive addition of the audio support to mplayer.
Basically, I made it aware of the option. Now, begins the hard work
of telling mplayer to do something with it.

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~lioux/mplayer.tgz

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature