Date:      Mon, 2 May 2005 18:12:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
Subject:   Re: if_tap unaligned access problem

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> jmg's suggestion of bringing in the NetBSD patches to allow the entire
> network stack to be compiled with unaligned accesses (for those platforms
> which support it) is interesting because it can simplify or eliminate
> some of the acrobatics needed in network drivers to deal with the mbuf
> alignment.

I'm too lazy to benchmark, but I suspect that having the ethernet code
shift the packet backwards by two bytes after it strips off the ethernet
header is going to be faster than requiring ip_input to allocate a new
mbuf for each received packet.

Such a change would also ensure that we don't break all the other
protocols that jmg didn't touch in his patch.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack