Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:02:17 +0800
From:      Xu Qiang <Qiang.Xu@fujixerox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "Qiang \(XSSC\) Xu" <Qiang.Xu@fujixerox.com>
Subject:   DNS and Gateway in FreeBSD?

Hi, all: =

In setting up my FreeBSD machine in my LAN, I only assigned it an ip addres=
s and a netmask, just as the handbook said (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_U=
S.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html). =

But after that, it can identify the proxy server's name even i didn't give =
it an explicit DNS server ip address. (It can ping proxy.abc.com) And I fou=
nd the gateway is also found automatically by the machine. (It is automatic=
ally added into the line beginnin with "defaultrouter=3D")

Is it designed behavior? I can't understand that. :(

Regards,
Xu Qiang