Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:20:31 -0500
From:      Skylar Thompson <skylar@cs.earlham.edu>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Snapshot problems

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

I've discovered a repeatable problem with FreeBSD's UFS2 snapshots. If I
create several snapshots, and then do heavy disk I/O on the original
filesystem (deletions, creations, simple touches, etc.) I can cause the I/O
system to crash. There is no kernel panic, and the machine still answers
pings, but no disk I/O occurs. I can replicate this on a dual-processor
beige-box system with a Mylex RAID controller and a RAID-5 set, and also on
a dual-processor Dell Poweredge 2650 with a PERC 3/i RAID controller and a
RAID-5 set and RAID-1 set.  FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE is installed on both
systems, and SMP is enabled as well, with HTT disabled on the Poweredge. I
have DDB compiled in, so I can get debug information but I don't know what
to look for.

--=20
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/