Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:51:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Terry R. Friedrichsen" <terry@uplift.hosp.misyshealthcare.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alpha vs. FreeBSD 5.4 vs. X

I don't expect anybody to know what's really going on here; all I really
want is for somebody to drop me mail that says "yeah, don't bother trying
to run X on DS10 FreeBSD 5.4/Alpha; it doesn't work" or "X works just fine
on DS10 FreeBSD 5.4/Alpha; you're a bonehead".

So here's my story:

I am having loads and loads of trouble trying to get X to run on a DS10.

The filesystems are solid as a rock as long as I'm not trying to use X,
and flakier than a box of Kellogg's the instant I try to run the Xorg
server.  I've hammered the disks hard and long without X running, and
everything works great.

First, trying to run X will hang the system, generally even before the
xdm login screen comes up.  But, one magical time, it came up, let me
log in, ran the window manager, and executed my .xsesion file perfectly.
It promptly hung at the first command I typed into an xterm window.  The
disk activity light was solid on ...

Power-cycling to reboot hung when xdm fired up, and I've never gotten
past it again.

(Oh, yeah, I rerun "-configure" because power-cycling the machine so
thoroughly damages the filesystems that I have to reinstall from the
CD.  This situation, while still a problem, has been *greatly* reduced
by turning off soft-updates for /usr - and I've turned off background
fsck's, else the damaged filesystems wouldn't even permit booting.)

Sometimes "Xorg -configure" will complete; sometimes it will go away
forever.  When it goes away forever, Xorg.0.log is totally empty,
although a few lines of output *do* appear on the screen (but just
the first few telling me what the various line abbreviations mean).

I've followed the Handbook stuff on configuring X, when I can actually
get "-configure" to work".  As nearly as I can tell from reading reams
of documentation, I seem to be doing everything right.  And, of course,
there was that one magical time when it all worked perfectly ...

Finally, it's not the disk drive:  I've installed FreeBSD on both da0
and da1.  The first power-cycle while booted on da1 rendered da1 un-
bootable.  da0 has, with difficulty, survived all of the abuse so far.

To eliminate the SCSI bus, I installed FreeBSD on an ATA drive.  That
actually failed; after exploding all of the packages like Perl, the
fonts, etc., it says something like "Attempting to install all selected
distributions" and hangs there forever.  I tried that twice, with the
same results both times; this screen normally only appears for about 2
seconds.

Well, anyway, if somebody could just take the time to let me know whe-
ther this is all *supposed* to work or whether I'm just wasting my
time, I'd appreciate it.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@uplift.hosp.misyshealthcare.com