Date:      Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:22:41 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Consistent file system hang with RELENG_6 of today ...

And now, to follow up on my original ... I now have two core dumps, if
anyone is interested :)

To give some details as to what I'm trying to do here, and how ...

I have a RELENG_6 machine, updated this afternoon, that I am trying to run
a 4.x based jail environment on ... and these are what are live/running
on my 6 productions 4.x machines right now ...

I have COMPAT_FREEBSD4 built into the kernel:

> strings /boot/kernel/kernel | grep -i COMPAT_ | grep __options
___options      COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
___options      COMPAT_FREEBSD4

Now, as most of the "old timers" here know, my jail environment makes use
of unionfs to "mount" a template layer, to share common binaries amongst
the VMs ...

I have tried two different ways of doing this, both result in the exact
same 'file system hang' ... and I have a core of each 'method' ...

The first was to use mount_devfs to, of course, mount the /dev directory
within the jail itself ...

The second, I used the same /dev that existed within the jail, based on
bulding a jail using a 4.x system ...

In both cases, the hang appears to be at the same spot, where 'sendmail'
(in this case, the postfix port) starts up ...

In both cases, I was able to enter DDB using CTL-ALT-ESC and create a
dump, but, unlike a server crash, where you just basically bt the core
file, I really haven't got a clue where to even start to provide
information from the core's themselves ...

So, is there anyone out there able/willing to provide some direction on
providing more information?

Thanks ...

----