Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:30:26 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "fast data access mmu miss" on kernels w/o "makeoptions DEBUG=-g"

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:24:58AM -0400, John Nielsen wrote:
 > On Wednesday 17 August 2005 16:59, Marius Strobl wrote:

 > > > No change even after a fresh buildworld (using RELENG_6):
 > > >
 > > > cvsup /etc/supfile-src && rm -r /usr/obj/* && cd /usr/src && make make
 > > > && make clean && make cleandir && make cleandir && make buildworld &&
 > > > make buildkernel && make installkernel && make installworld &&
 > > > mergemaster
 > > >
 > > > I don't mind leaving the option in the kernel, but it does seem like a
 > > > strange bug.  Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.  Thanks,
 > >
 > > When the DEBUG make option is defined the compiler optimization
 > > flags (COPTFLAGS) default to '-O -pipe' whereas without DEBUG the
 > > default is '-O2 -pipe' ('-O2' can cause bogus stack traces so it's
 > > not the default for debugging kernels). So in case you also get a
 > > panic with a kernel having both:
 > > makeoptions	DEBUG=-g
 > > and:
 > > makeoptions	COPTFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
 > > this probably means that there's bogus code that breaks at higher
 > > optimization levels or a compiler bug. A stack trace from such a
 > > panic might help to track this down in case it's not screwed due
 > > to the '-O2'.
 >
 > That's what it was.  A kernel with only
 > makeoptions COPTFLAGS="-O -pipe"
 > builds and runs just fine.

Are you sure that GENERIC kernel panics too?
I couldn't verify it(I'm on a business trip) but I guess you should
remove smbfs related kernel options. smbfs never worked on sparc64
and it needs more clean up on various places.
If you encounter the panic again would you post stack traces?
--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon