Date:      Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:28:21 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 802.11 status and futures

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:06:34 -0700
Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com> wrote:

> As soon as it's ok to have HEAD diverge I want to bring in an entirely
> new framework for doing scanning.  This supports things like background
> scanning (scanning for ap's while associated), roaming, and enables
> station mode power save operation.  These changes affect all drivers so
> committing them won't happen until I get help in updating and testing
> other drivers.

What kind of documentation is available? Is there an HOWTO, overview or
bare-bone-demo-driver with explanations available or do we have to use
the source?

The gap between ath and the other drivers is getting larger and larger.
I wanted to add WPA support to wi a while ago, but after 30 minutes of
looking at the source and searching for documentation I still lacked
the big picture (I know nothing about the internals, I'm just a poor
user of 2 wi cards). Where to start, what feature can be implemented in
software, which one needs what kind of hardware support, what needs to
be implemented, what's optional, ...? I'm talking about documentation
which goes beyond what the man-pages provide currently. Documentation
which provides examples and/or teaches about how to write a driver. Do
we have something like this?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            It is easier to fix Unix than to live with NT.