Date:      Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:29:33 -0400
From:      Ben Rosengart <ben+freebsd.org@narcissus.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP; autoboot

Hi folks,
  I have two questions about freebsd-ppc; they probably both are FAQs.

1. Is SMP supported on freebsd-ppc?  If so, do I just have to build a
   new kernel to make use of it, like on i386?  (Is it safe to create
   a smaller kernel config file by copying GENERIC, and going through
   deleting unused drivers, as I am used to doing on i386?)

2. What can I put in my NVRAM settings to make the system boot to
   FreeBSD?  As it is, I have auto-boot?=false, and when
   the OF prompt comes up, I type "boot hd:loader hd:6".  hd:6 is an
   HFS+ filesystem which contains just one file, "loader".  This is
   not too bad, but it'd be pretty cool if I could autoboot to FreeBSD.
   Bonus points if there's a menu along the way that lets me select
   Mac OS X, which lives on the second HDD.  I played around with
   things like setting boot-command=boot and boot-args="hd:loader hd:6",
   but all I ever got was a boot to Mac OS X or to a blank screen.

I'll be happy to add any useful answers I receive to the wiki, if I can.

Thanks,

--
 Ben Rosengart                                          ben@narcissus.net
       "Young people should be seen and not heard, because they're