Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:30:30 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
To:        robert@webtent.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reaching kern.maxfiles

On Monday 12 December 2005 09:00, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 07:57 -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > On Monday 12 December 2005 06:19, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > > Been running this FreeBSD 5.2.1 server since 5.2 was released, never
> > > had an issue couldn't resolve, especially with the help of this and
> > > other lists. Now I'm stumped. I posted this issue last week, someone
> > > suggested I look at:
> > >
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-
> > >kern el-limits.html
> > >
> > > The problem with reaching kern.maxfiles started immediately after doing
> > > several upgrades including Perl 5.8.4 to 5.8.7 and other minor level
> > > upgrades - Postfix 2.2.3 to 2.2.6, amavisd-new 2.2 to 2.3, SpamAssassin
> > > 3.0 to 3.1 and others. Since stopping and starting Postfix every 10
> > > minutes alliviates the issue, I portdowngraded Postfix, amavisd-new and
> > > SpamAssassin to previous packages and still reach the kern.maxfiles of
> > > over 12000 within minutes.
> >
> > Downgrading just a few ports doesn't take into account their
> > dependencies, and if you downgrade the dependencies then other ports that
> > need them will have problems.
>
> No issues with my downgraded ports, but still the issue with reaching
> kern.maxfiles, I have located this document, could this still be related
> to my 5.2.1 kernel? Or, is there a way I could see if this is suspect on
> my system?

> --
> Robert

I think changing kern.maxfiles is a bad idea unless you have a very good
reason, you would just be covering up the real problem. You didn't say how
you ran lsof, what does  lsof -p {posfix pid} look like? One mail box on my
system postfix opens about 50 files, how many mail boxes on your system?

The PR you mentioned applies to libc_r, if I recall libc_r isn't supposed to
be used in FreeBSD 5.*

On my 5.4 system here is the libraries being used by postfix:

master  473 root  txt   VREG       4,26   129041
3984706 /usr/local/libexec/postfix/master
master  473 root  txt   VREG       4,12   152700  495144 /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
master  473 root  txt   VREG       4,26   229823
3768403 /usr/local/lib/libsasl2.so.2
master  473 root  txt   VREG       4,26    28040 5700906 /usr/lib/libpam.so.2
master  473 root  txt   VREG       4,12    32740  211974 /lib/libcrypt.so.2
master  473 root  txt   VREG       4,26   216480
3768737 /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.0
master  473 root  txt   VREG       4,12   966792  213219 /lib/libc.so.5

If your system was mine here is what I would do first:

Make sure there is no /etc/libmap.conf

to make sure all dependencies are corectly built:
	portmanager mail/postfix -f -l

Above I would just do because I was curious if it could be fixed,
but then I would upgrade to 5.4 STABLE or 5.4 RELEASE then
portmanager -u -f -l to make sure all ports were built against the correct
system libraries.  My earlier point about downgrading specific ports
is still valid in your case, sometime doing that just creates new problems
because your dependencies are mismatched.

-Mike