Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:15:39 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fetch extension - use local filename from content-dispositionheader (new diff)

On Friday 30 December 2005 06:56 pm, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday 30 December 2005 06:25 pm, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> > Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> writes:
> > > Ok, how about [...]
> >
> > how about I spell it out as simply as I can: "no"
>
> Nice to see your concern for actual users.  I guess people should just go
> use wget or curl instead?  For that matter, why stick with FreeBSD when y=
ou
> get to endure such helpful attitudes?  Offering suggestions rather than
> just "piss off" would be more constructive.  I understand that the new
> off-by-default feature does allow one to blow one's foot off, but UN*X has
> a long history of delivering bullets to one's feet in a speedy fashion wh=
en
> specifically requested.

I haven't read any replies to this, but my conscience is killing me.  I'm=20
sorry for the tone I used above, especially to Des.  I am quite frustrated=
=20
with some of the attitudes displayed in the thread to the original submitte=
r=20
who is just trying to make FreeBSD better to get useful work done, but=20
blowing up is not the right way to handle that.

Martin, if you are unable to make any headway getting your patch to fetch=20
integrated, and/or having anyone else come up with a better implementation =
of=20
the feature you need, there are several other programs like curl or wget th=
at=20
you can use instead.  Given that Mozilla already does what you want it seem=
s=20
likely that at least one open-source command-line URL fetcher will be willi=
ng=20
to accept patches to implement the feature you need for your scripts.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> =A0<>< =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve" =A0=3D =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org