Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:11:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      mdh lists <mdh_lists@yahoo.com>
To:        Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>, James Tanis <jtanis@pycoder.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org" <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: type 5 kbd/mouse woes

--- Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 16:38, James Tanis wrote:
> > I'm pretty convinced its a problem resulting from
> my own ignorance as
> > far as FreeBSD/Sparc64 goes, so I'm just going to
> ask a simple
> > question first. What modules/drivers must one load
> to get a working
> > sun type 5 (din) mouse/keyboard under the console
> and in xorg? The
> > keyboard of course works fine under the console.
> Unfortunately, I
> > can't seem to find any documentation on the
> subject that isn't i386
> > centric. I've tried most things that seem not
> unlikely, I have prior
> > experience with sparc32/xsun, but either it has
> been too long or
> > things are a bit different now :P. I realize I'm
> being pretty
> > ambiguous here, just wanted to know what kernel
> modules and xorg
> > drivers handle them.
> >
> > --
> > James Tanis
> > jtanis@pycoder.org
> > http://pycoder.org
>
> James,
>
> It depends on which vesrion of FBSD you are using.
> For 6.0 P1 consiole
> the type 5 works out of the box ish. I say ish as
> the leds don't work
> and the only keymap appears to be US. I don't think
> the mouse works at
> all.
>
> With x-windows try this:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>          Driver      "kbd"
>          Option "Protocol"    "standard"
>          Option "AutoRepeat"  "500 30"
>          Option "XkbRules"    "sun"
>          Option "XkbModel"    "type5"
>          Option "XkbLayout"   "gb"
>          Option "XkbKeycodes" "sun(type5)"
>  EndSection
>
> Change XkbLayout to your layout. BTW again it sort
> of works some keys
> are wrong and the leds don't work. I haven't
> bothered any further as I
> use ssh & vnc to connect and that works correctly.
>
> The mouse works though /dev/cuau3 as there is no
> sysmouse.
>
> Rob

sysmouse is created by running moused.  moused
provides the /dev/sysmouse utility.  To activate
moused for a Sun type5 setup, you'll almost certainly
want the command `moused -t mousesystems -p
/dev/cuau3`.  This will allow you to have Xorg access
the mouse via /dev/sysmouse, as well as providing
mouse functionality on a syscons console.  So yes, the
mouse does in fact work on the console with FreeBSD
6.0 on sparc64. :-)

The LED problem is a known issue, and I have a GNATS
ticket open on it, you can check out the FreeBSD bug
tracking system and see if you maybe have anything to
add to the information I've already provided in that
ticket to assist the kernel dev folks in identifying
and addressing the lock key LED problem. However, as
all the toggles still work just fine, I marked the
ticket as non-critical.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com