Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:30:10 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        vsevolod@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using [Open]LDAP for authentication

--nextPart1570343.mjU7v2EVbX

Hi,
I use OpenLDAP for authentication in conjunction with nss_ldap and pam_ldap=
=20
(and samba). I use the RCORDER port option so it put the startup file=20
in /etc/rc.d.

In 5.4 this worked fine - it started up correctly and in the right place.=20
However I upgraded to 6.0-STABLE (11/12/05) and when I ran mergemaster I=20
accidentally told it to delete the rc.d file (doh..) I then upgraded to a=20
slightly later version of openldap (a newer version of openldap23-server).

The problem now is that OpenLDAP appears to start very late, since lots of=
=20
things need to do nss_ldap lookups it means bootup is very glacial as they=
=20
timeout.

In the end I hacked up /etc/rc.d/SERVERS to require slapd and took the SERV=
ERS=20
requirement out of /etc/rc.d/slapd

I wonder if there should be another dummy rc.d file which marks where servi=
ces=20
that supply passwd/group/etc information are available and then SERVERS can=
=20
depend on that (because a lot of servers need to be able to change to anoth=
er=20
user ID after starting).

Then again maybe my nsswitch.conf is broken as I have..
group: ldap files
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: ldap files
shells: files

Maybe I should swap files and ldap around.. Hmm I'll try that and see :)

Even if that does fix it, I think it would be good to be able to run OpenLD=
AP=20
as early as practical.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."