Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2006 06:10:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        orlando@break.net
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMWare3 on FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.4

I have seen many reports of problems, and a few suggested
work arounds, which I tried, but no one saying they have vmware3
running correctly on either 4.11 or 5.4 systems.  Of cource
you never hear about what works, only about what is broken :-(.

I have managed to get it running here by going back to the
old linux_base-7.1.    I am in the process of doing further
regression testing to find out exactly when it broke, it
was some time between linux_base-7.1 and linux_base-8.8.

I am in contract with the freebsd-emulation mailling list
and have started to submit nit fixes to other things like
RTC (I think I see a far more serious bug there, I just need
to test and confirm it, then fix it if it turns out to be real.)

I have at least a couple nit fix that can probably go in right
away:

1)  vmware3 requires perl both to build, and to run,
    yet the port doesnt state that.  This is ok on 4.x as
    perl is built in, but on 5.x and later this well not work.
    Unclear to me on exactly how to handle this...

2)  The pkg-desc still refers to the old name vmware.sh and not
    the new 001.vmware.sh.

3)  The installation location was arbitrarly moved from /usr/local
    to /usr/X11R6 by the mega-linux 8.8 update.  I would like to
    see it moved back to /usr/local.

4)  The docs state that it wont work on SMP systems, well it should
    actually say it wont work on a system with an APIC in it.  I can
    boot on my UP system with an enabled APIC and the code locks up.
    Need to probably make a note about that and add a test to check
    for apic and bail out like the NCPU>1 does.

Regards,
--
Rod Grimes                                                 freebsd@freebsd.org