Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:36:29 -0500
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proper mail headers

--Boundary-00=_uyl3DjUD56JsKXc

Duane Whitty wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I wanted to check to see if I am using the proper etiquette
> when filling in my headers, especially when responding to
> someone's post.  Should I just let let my reply go to the
> person named in Reply-To or should I reply to the list and CC
> the poster, or is it the other way around?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Duane Whitty
>
> duane @greenmeadow.ca

You did not mention what MUA you are employing. I am using KMail=20
at the present time, but that does vary. In any case, see if=20
your MUA has support for mailing lists. If it does, you can=20
configure it to deliver incoming mail sorted into folders based=20
on the list name, or some other criterion if you so desire. It=20
is then possible to configure the MUA to use a set address, or=20
addresses when you reply to mail from that folder.

It is usually considered incorrect to directly mail or CC a=20
response to a poster unless they specifically requested it.

I presently employ that method, and it works fine for me.

Remember, 'Top Posting" is a negative factor.

=2D-=20
Gerard Seibert
gerard@seibercom.net

	A: Because it reverses the natural flow of a dialog.
	Q: Why is top posting undesirable when replying?

	TOPIC: Posting Etiquette

--Boundary-00=_uyl3DjUD56JsKXc

--nextPart18979357.VfVhNjCDQt