Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:05:24 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Naive implementation of strverscmp(3)

In the last episode (Feb 15), Ulrich Spoerlein said:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >>Is there a chance this might get included into libc? Or is it
> >>considered bloat?
> >I don't think it belongs in libc.  Maybe libutil.
>
> This would require patching the gqview configure script, but I can live
> with that.
>
> >For the first point, consider
> >  strverscmp("jan25", "janx25");
>
> This fell victim to a rearranging of the while loop. Thanks for
> pointing that out!
>
> Attached is an updated version, which now also takes leading zeros
> into account. It still differs from the GNU version, because
> strverscmp("foo.009", "foo.0") > 0 In my book, '009' is just greater
> than zero, no matter what. If someone could explain to me, why the
> GNU folks do it the other way round, I could try implementing that
> too.

This looks a lot like strnatcmp, which is "natural sort" or "do what I
mean" sort :)

http://sourcefrog.net/projects/natsort/

Your function is simpler than the C implementation on that site, but
falls over when a run of numbers exceeds 2^31 (raise it to 2^64 if you
use strtoull, but that's as high as you can yet).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com