Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:25:35 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, Andrey Beresovsky <and@rsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: Boot hangs on ips0: resetting adapter, this may take up to 5 minutes

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, John Baldwin wrote:

JB>Actually, the real issue is that GENERIC amd64 doesn't include device atpic
JB>in HEAD, but does on 6.x.  And what is actually happening is that without
JB>APIC, there is no interrupt controller at all, and thus no interrupts.  You
JB>will need to add 'device atpic' to your kernel config on HEAD for amd64 to
JB>test the non-APIC case.  But really, the APIC case should be fixed.

Yes, that was it. With atpic it works.

JB>So amd64 is busted in both the UP and SMP cases with APIC enabled, yes?

Yes, and UP kernel behaves even more weird than SMP does. Boot goes
further than "lo0: bpf attached" but starting from this line it gets very
slow and continues with huge timeouts. It passes "ips0: resetting adapter,
this may take up to 5 minutes" and gets to "start_init: trying /sbin/init"
where it stops forever. Well, probably not forever, but I didn't get
anything else from it during at least 30 minutes.

Logs are available:
1. i386 with UP kernel http://rsu.ru/~os/ips/boot.2006-03-08.i386.UP.txt
2. amd64 with UP kernel http://rsu.ru/~os/ips/boot.2006-03-08.amd64.UP.txt
3. output from mptable http://rsu.ru/~os/ips/mptable.txt

I suppose in amd64/UP case ips gets its interrupts, but some other devices
don't.

--
Oleg Sharoiko.
Software and Network Engineer