Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:42:45 -0500
From:      "Tamouh H." <hakmi@rogers.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: how does a system come up if you disable background fsck ?

=20
> Ensel Sharon wrote:
> > I have disabled background fsck in my /etc/rc.conf with:
> >=20
> > background_fsck=3D"no"
> >=20
> > But I am curious - what does this mean for the system if the system=20
> > crashes ?
> >=20
> > Does this mean that the system will wait for all non root=20
> partitions=20
> > to fully fsck before coming up into multi-user mode ?
> >=20
> > OR
> >=20
> > Does it mean the system will boot up quickly into=20
> multi-user mode, but=20
> > the non-root partitions will just not be mounted and/or=20
> usable until I=20
> > fsck them by hand ?
> >=20
> > thanks.
>=20
> The former, as I can say with ample experience this morning.=20
> (stupid USB
> panic)
>=20
> HTH,
> Micah

I find both ways useless. If fsck background starts after a crash it =
literally slows down the machine to a halt rendering it unusable.

If enable fsck to check the system prior to mounting device, it will =
take at least 15-30 minutes for it to complete (in the event of a hard =
crash). Which also translates to a downtime.

disabling fsck on the long run is a bad choice too as eventually the =
system files will become corrupt beyond repair.

What is the solution here ?

Thx,

Tamouh