Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:06:45 +0200
From:      Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@benzedrine.cx>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: broken ip checksum after frag reassemble of nfs READDIR?

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 02:41:09PM +0200, Max Laier wrote:

> The other big problem that just crossed my mind:  Reassembly in the bridge
> path!?  It doesn't look like the current bridge code on either OS is ready to
> deal with packets > MTU coming out of the filter.  The question here is
> probably how much IP processing we want to do in the bridge code?

OpenBSD's bridge does, see bridge_fragment(). IIRC, we slightly adjusted
ip_fragment() so it could be called from there, and not too much code
had to be duplicated.

        if ((len - ETHER_HDR_LEN) > dst_if->if_mtu)
                bridge_fragment(sc, dst_if, &eh, m);
        else {
                bridge_ifenqueue(sc, dst_if, m);
        }

  bridge_fragment()

        error = ip_fragment(m, ifp, ifp->if_mtu);
        if (error) {
                m = NULL;
                goto dropit;
        }

        for (; m; m = m0) {
                m0 = m->m_nextpkt;
                m->m_nextpkt = NULL;
		error = bridge_ifenqueue(sc, ifp, m);
	}

That's one more layer violation in bridge, but stateful filtering
basically requires fragment reassembly, at least in general.

Daniel