Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 15:14:24 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Eric Anholt <eric@anholt.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: X.Org 7.0 port?

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 10:28:09AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> 	"Nobody in their right mind is going to expend the hours required
> 	 to port this for no net gain."

I'm sorry if you can't see that this was at least to some degree an ironic
usage.  I laughed when I read it, and contributed my equally-ironic reply.
Perhaps this has all been lost in translation.

> If it were simply my being "totally wrong" that angered you, you'd be
> flaming these two gentlemen even harder...

That's ok, kris and I are rather used to it.

> > But let me say, your email sure reduces my motivation to help out
> > towards getting a fixed system in place.
>
> Actually, I'd rather you did not say this blackmail...

1. This is a very, very, loaded term.  I would rather you had not used it,
   it will not make the discussion more productive.

2. You have ignored the point that kris and I and anholt are trying to
   make, that he is not obligated to fix your problem.  Since he, like
   everyone else, is only human, the more you attempt to bully him into
   doing so, the less he is going to feel motivated to spend his own
   free time doing so.

> Unfortunately, Kris -- and now you -- have turned the thread from what,
> if anything, can/should/must be done about x11 ports to whether or not
> any criticism is allowed...

No, this is something that you have read into the discussion.

It's fair to say "xyz doesn't work".  It isn't fair to say "abc _must_
fix xyz".  This model simply does not work with volunteers.

mcl