Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 01:04:36 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux emulation file descriptor leakage -current?

> > The following code from linux_stats.c looked dodgy to me so I
> > reverted /sys/{i386/linux,compat/{linux,linprocfs}} to about
> > one month old state and the problem disappears.  skype still
> > opens about 296 files but no more.
>
> Can you please do a binary search for the commit which breaks this? Go
> to a 2 week old current and see if the problem is still there. If it
> isn't, the problem appeared in the last two weeks, so update to an one
> week old current (and so on). I think only the kernel needs to be
> updated.

Yes, only the kernel needs to be updated.  Look at rev 1.80
of /sys/compat/linux/linux_stats.c and related changes
(commited on 2006/05/05 16:10:45).  I am reasonably certain
this is the culprit.  To avoid looking at alpha support
removal changes (which have nothing to do with this) do

    cd /sys/compat/linux
    cvs diff -D'1 month ago' -D'1 week ago'

This is the only change in that time period.  Perhaps the
commit (sponsored by IronPort Systems) needs to be vetted.
Removing this code has fixed the problem for me.  If you
have an alternative fix I'll be happy to try it.